Woman dies in Bournemouth fire after discarded cigarette causes blaze
A woman from West Howe died in a house fire after a discarded cigarette caused her home to set alight.
A neighbour called Dorset Fire and Rescue Service after they heard a smoke alarm inside the property go off.
Two crews from Poole and one crew from Redhill Park were called to an address at Hall Road at 2.15pm on Tuesday November 20.
Officers found a lady inside the property who had died. A Fire Investigation has taken place and it is believed discarded smoking material near to the body caused the blaze.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Fire Investigation Officer Steve Underhill said: "Although we are awaiting confirmation of the cause of death from the coroner, it is clear that the victim had not properly disposed of smoking materials, leading to a fire near her.
"She did have hard-wired smoke alarms which were sounding and alerted a neighbour, but it may well be that she was unable to escape due to mobility or other issues which are not yet clear.
"The message to all smokers however is to ensure that you have fully extinguished your cigarettes or tobacco before you leave the room or are in danger of falling asleep."