Quick thinking mum saved baby from Poole flat fire
A mother and her baby had a lucky escape after a candle set fire to their Poole home.
At 11am on Monday November 26, fire crews from Poole, Redhill Park and Westbourne were called to a property in Oakdale Road.
Fifteen firefighers used two sets of breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze in a ground floor bedroom.
A woman suffered minor burns, but was able to get her and her baby out of the property quickly.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Station Manager Clem Stanley said: "We believe the cause of the fire to have been a candle left on a windowsill, this then set light to the curtains.
"The resident was able to escape the flat with her young baby and these quick actions undoubtedly saved their lives.
"We always remind the public to get out, stay out and call 999 which is exactly what happened in this case.
"Candles can be really nice to ignite indoors but they should never be left unattended, and always kept away from flammable materials.
"Finally, if you are going to bed or leaving the house please don't forget to make sure they are fully extinguished."
The property suffered significant smoke damaged, and the bedroom was badly damaged by the fire.
The occupant was treated by the ambulance service for minor burn injuries and was taken to hospital, along with her baby - as a precautionary measure.