Plea to dog owners after Kingston Lacy cattle infected
DOG owners are being urged to pick up after their pets to prevent the spread of infection in the prize-winning cattle at Kingston Lacy.
Two cattle in the Red Devon herd were found to be infected with a parasite, Neospora caninum, which is transmitted through eggs in dog poo.
Neospora can cause weak calves and abortions and there is no known cure.
Although the meat is still perfectly safe to eat, having two of the herd's 52 cattle infected could affect the breeding line of the pedigree herd if it continues to spread.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Peter Samson, the National Trust's Head Ranger at Kingston Lacy said the best way to protect the herd from further infection is for anybody walking their dog to pick up any dog poo and put it in the dog waste bins.
"We would appeal to all dog owners to please pick up every time when walking their dogs. Making sure they are wormed regularly will also help to prevent the spread of diseases such as this."