Top Picks: This weekend in Dorset - October 13-14
Although the summer is well and truly over, Dorset is set for another busy weekend as autumn gets into full swing. We look at ten events to keep you busy this weekend.
1) The fifth annual Bridport Community Orchard Apple Day takes place today from 11am to 3pm. The event offers The Bridport Community Orchard's apple juice and cider, along with Ploughman's lunches and children's activities. The event takes place in the Community Orchard, behind St Mary's Church in South Street.
2) The Ancient Technology Centre, Cranborne, Wimborne will be hosting 'Agincourt' story telling. The special performance takes place at 7.30pm this evening. The high energy two-man show produces an eclectic mix of theatrical styles, story telling and music.
3) Eat Dorset Food Fair, Parnham House, Beaminster is an award-winning food fair including cookery demonstrations from a host of chefs such as Steven Lamb from River Cottage. Over 60 local producers will be selling a range of local produce, while The Hive Beach Cafe will open their Champagne and Oyster Bar.
Thinking of buying a new computer for Christmas?
Save 10% on all Windows 7 Custom Built Desktop Computer Packages. Gaming PC's, Media Centres & More!!
Windows Desktops Only, Purchased before 12/12/13.
Package Includes Tower, Screen, Keyboard & Mouse.
Domestic Customers Only
Contact: 0845 0177033
Valid until: Thursday, December 12 2013
4) The Arne Nature Reserve, near Wareham is holding a special 'Heathland Bash' today The event takes place between 10am and 3pm at The RSPB reserve. Visitors are asked to meet at the Reserve's car park and bring a packed lunch, and can have a go at pine pulling, scrub-bashing and other activities.
5) Lions Beach Motocross, Weymouth is a very popular event taking place on the beach outside Weymouth Pavilion. The national motocross event attracts over 250 top riders, who make their way through the tricky course. The event is free to spectators, taking place tomorrow (October 14) between 12pm and 4pm.
6) Bournemouth Arts by the Sea Festival continues this weekend with events taking place across the town including a bid to build the most sandcastles within an hour on Bournemouth Beach and various exhibitions and installations.
7) The Blue Pool, Furzebrook, Wareham is offering admission for just ten pence per person this weekend. With beautiful walks around the ground on offer, visitors can also take advantage of a ten per cent discount on gift shop purchases.
8) The Purbeck Film Festival kicks off this weekend at various locations including The Rex, Wareham and various village halls and unusual venues. The longest running rural film festival in the UK in now in its 16th year, and this weekend's schedule includes performances of In Darkness and Far From the Madding Crowd.
9) Wimborne October Beer Festival takes place today at The Allendale Centre. Organised by the Wimborne Round Table, the event offers a variety of beers, ciders, food and live music. Tickets cost just £5 and include a programme and souvenir beer glass.
10) The National Trust is organising an autumn wander at Brownsea Island. The event takes place at no extra cost - allowing visitors to venture out with a ranger to see red squirrels and other wildlife on the famous island.