Neighbour rescues man trapped in Owermoigne fire
A man was rescued from his Owermoigne home by a neighbour after an unattended candle set fire to his bungalow.
At around 10:30pm, Dorset Fire and Rescue Service were called to a blaze at a property along Wareham Road - where one male occupant was trapped.
The man was given fire survival guidance by fire control officers before two crews from Dorchester and one crew from Weymouth arrived at the scene.
Crews used two hose reel jets, one main line and four sets of breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire in a cupboard.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Station Manager Steve Underhill who was at the scene said: "The occupier was helped to safety by a neighbour. We believe the cause of this fire to have been an unattended candle.
"The fire damage to the property was limited, but the entire property suffered smoke damage.
"This is a really important opportunity to remind Dorset residents that candles can be extremely dangerous and should never be left unattended.
"I would also like to remind householders that smoke alarms should be fitted on all levels of your home and tested weekly to ensure they are working properly as well as having an escape plan."