Camping stove catches fire after elderly couple use it indoors
Fire officers in Dorset are warning residents to be careful while using camping stoves after a blaze at a home in Puddletown.
Dorset Fire and Rescue officers were called to Butts Close at 8am on Wednesday August 29 after a fire broke out at the home of an elderly couple.
The crew from Dorchester attended the incident in which a cylinder caught fire and ensured the item was safe by using a hose reel jet. Residents are being reminded not to use camping stoves indoors.
Station Commander at Dorchester Steve Cheeseman said: "The elderly couple inside this property woke up to fond they had no electricity. They brought in a camping stove and when they started to use it a fire developed at the top of the cylinder near the hose.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
"Their neighbours responded to their cries for help and dragged the stove outside. Although we would never advise anyone to touch a burning cylinder, this action undoubtedly stopped the fire from spreading.
"Dorset Fire and Rescue Service advice is that camping equipment should never be used indoors. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have working smoke alarms on all levels of your home and that these are tested weekly.
"If there is a fire - get out, stay out and call the fire service out."